
The allotments were established in 1924 when William Stubbs of Leahlands (a large house located on nearby Swanlow Lane) sold a field to Winsford Urban District Council (WUDC) for the purpose of the Allotments Act 1922 and for a fee of £450 a milestone in allotment legislation. Stubbs had served as Chairman of WUDC 1897-1898, WUDC took out a loan in 1924 to enable the purchase, this loan was then re-payed over 80 years! with the final payment being made in 2008

The 1846 map of Winsford shows that the field sold by William Stubbs was known as Well Field, described as arable land with 6 acres, 2 roods, and 12 perches. By 1924 2 acres had been set aside for Housing with the remainder set aside for what is now Over Allotments with 62 plots as of 2023. Efforts continue to identify the well.

We only really know information derived from a few brief passages found in local paper archives. In July 1926 The Northwich Guardian reported that there were 56 plots. Inspections were made annually by the council and a cup was awarded for best Plot a tradition that continues today, as do regular inspections to ensure plots are used to their full potential.